Saturday, April 24, 2010

Run, Forrest! Run!

This was my first week back at working out since Bruce's unfortunate break and it was my best EVER.

Like in my whole 33 years of life.

Not being able to walk/run really put a damper on my spirits over the past few weeks. I started feeling sluggish and wanting to sleep alll the time and was just uninspired. Lamesauce, I know. So on Monday I recommitted to my workouts and I feel better than ever.

I specifically made myself run at an extremely slow pace (3.0 walk, 3.5 run) on purpose, seeing as it was my first week back after almost 4 weeks. In the beginning it felt too slow, but I don't want to injure myself. Slowing it down turned out to be the best thing I could have ever done. On Monday I did walk/run intervals for a half hour.

On Tuesday my goal was to do another half hour of 1min walk/1min run. After a 5 min walking warm-up, I did 10 min of that (3.0 walk/3.5 run). I kind of psyched myself out at first because I could see myself in a mirror and kept thinking "This feels sooo slow and I look like I'm prancing". At the 11th min (run) I decided to go into a 2nd min of running. I was specifially reminding myself to not jack up the speed, seeing as this was my 2nd day back at it, but figured it wouldn't hurt to run an extra minute (at 3.5). By this point I was feeling like "Why not just stay at this speed and test how long you can actually go?" So the 2nd minute passed and I kept going. I didn't feel tired at ALL and it felt great, so I decided to go for 5 min running. In full disclosure, I honestly didn't think I'd actually get there. (Have never done before, BTW- I think 3 min has been my max so far) 5 min turned to 6, and 7, and I decided to shoot for 10. Around 8 I started to get the start of a little stitch in my side, but being the bullhead I am, I wasn't going to give up till I reached 10. By 10 the stitch was gone. I ended up doing 15 minutes! I really don't think I'd EVER run this long (consecutively) in my life! I wanted to go for 20, but my right ankle started to ache a bit and I could see Max thru the glass window in the daycare room and could see that he was crying.

Thursday was monumental. After a 5 min walking warm-up, I decided to run. It was my goal to do 15 min @ 3.5 again, so I figured it'd be good to just get it done at the front end of my workout so I wouldn't tire. I intended to do the last 15 min as 1min walk/1min run. At 15 I decided to go for 20. 20 was the FIRST time I started to feel a little tired, but my mind went into high gear and said "Try for a half hour- you've already run longer than what you have left!" So I did and I wasn't tired at all! I was actually RUNNING and not huffing and puffing *and* it felt great!

I had my own Biggest Loser moment when I hit a half hour. I shed a couple tears of joy/amazement/"Holy crap, I can't believe I'm actually doing it!" and then did a 5 min walk cool down.

I planned to try for another 30 min run today. (Wanted to make sure that Thursday wasn't a fluke!) I did the usual 5 min walking warm-up, then started up. I've been using the same music mix for quite awhile now and am getting kind of bored of it, so after two songs I switched to a cast recording that two of my new Danish friends are on. Long story short, I ended up running for the duration of the whole album! By the last three songs I was ready to be done, but wasn't going to stop. I specifically covered up the clock with a magazine and didn't look at it much today, which helped. I think I checked in at 17 min, 30 min and then when I was finished. (50 min/3 mi) And I didn't get a stitch in my side AT ALL!

I DO feel like I've been hit by a semi as I post this, though. No pain, no gain, eh?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

WOW. I'm tired just reading about it! ;) Way to go, girlfriend!!!