Monday, July 6, 2009

Little Man Tate

We had class at the Tate Modern today. I wish the professor had told us to be there an hour before it opened, because as it was, we were there when it opened, and we had an hour's worth of lecture and presentations to get through. As it was, I felt we lost a lot of time that could have been spent in the exhibit.

The professor had us go through one floor of the exhibit and pick our favorite piece of art...mine was Balthus' Still Life with FigureI like the tension of the piece...The look of the girl's face, the floating fruit, the unbalanced composition of the piece. It shows movement without showing movement. The glass of wine...is that for her, or did someone just leave the table?

Anyway, the best part of the Tate Modern is the actual building itself. It is a gutted and re-furbished electrical power plant. Here is a picture of my classmates way off in the distance.

And here is a re-occurring themed picture of me, taking a picture of me in the Tate.
They have a pretty extensive online gallery, so I would encourage everyone to take a look!

No comments: